Friday, January 24, 2014

Think Before You Type

I am not one to turn to social media to talk about everything. While on Facebook I may update my status about once a week, if that. I keep up to date with friends and family and don't accept friendships I do not know.  I try to stay a relatively private person, but I know that as long as I am on social media my every moves are being watched.  However, there are some people that tell all on social media and that may not be the best idea.

Most people think of social media sites as being a safe place to share your true feelings, but that is not the case at all.  For one, Facebook is notorious for changing your privacy settings and not informing you about it. http://nyti.ms/1awS3Lm  I made it a rule for myself to check my privacy settings on all my social media sites every other week to make sure there is nothing different.  You can also change privacy as you post a status on Facebook by changing your audience.  No matter what you do while you are online, what you think is private really isn't and can be held against you.

Nowadays it is not uncommon for a person to look another up through their social media in order to get the true tale of that individual. It is honestly a place where thinking before speaking or typing should definitely apply. You have to be smart about what you post and who you share it with.  For example, do not post about a trip you a taking, post about a trip you took. I have seen articles about how a person posted they were going on vacation and while they were gone their house was broken into. http://aol.it/1aTRhTj  I have also heard of people losing their job or going to jail because of something they posted on social media sites. If you think about it, it really isn't worth it.  If you use your common sense staying safe on social media should not be a difficult task.  Make it a rule for yourself to put your phone away when you start drinking and do not post anything you wouldn't say to your grandma. 

I know this doesn't sound like much to do, but it really could change whether or not you get a specific job or even asked out by a special someone.  It can also help keep your family and belongings safe!  So next time you want to rant about something and share all with the world, ask yourself if it is really worth sharing or if it is something that could harm your reputation before posting.

 
 (Picture from Google Images)


No comments:

Post a Comment