Friday, January 31, 2014

My Favorite Kentucky Derby Festival Events

Today in class we had the pleasure of talking with Robert Young, the VP of Public Relations for the Kentucky Derby Festival. kdf.org It was a great presentation and I feel I learned a lot from having the opportunity of listening to him. The Kentucky Derby Festival is a huge two week celebration leading up to the Kentucky Derby.

The first year I attended anything Derby related was in 2008. Even though I grew up about two hours away from Louisville, the Kentucky Derby Festival is something I had never heard about.  The exception to this was Thunder Over Louisville and that was only because my sister started dating her husband and he was from New Albany, Indiana. He was astonished that we had never heard of it before since it was the largest firework display in the country.  I was absolutely blown away the first time I actually witnessed Thunder Over Louisville.  I love firework, probably one of my favorites things, but I was mesmerized by this display. Amazing!  Since that first year and every year after, I have brought someone from my hometown that has never heard of it. http://on.fb.me/1dftdu6


 (Picture from Google Images)

Another event the Kentucky Derby Festival puts on that I love is the Pegasus Parade. My husband and I have brought our daughter to this since she was born. She loves the parade and so do I.  The parade does a great job recognizing local groups and highlights activities offered throughout the city. The only thing I wish was different with the parade is the time it is held. It is so difficult to get there because most people are still heading home from work so we have struggled with seeing the whole parade every year.

 (Pegasus Parade 2008)

The Chow Wagon that is held at the Waterfront Park is another one of my favorites to attend.  All year I look forward to the food, drinks, music, and atmosphere which is what the Chow Wagon is all about. I really like that it is family friendly and my daughter (age 4) apparently loves the corndogs since she talks about them all the time. There is something about a corndog from a festival that makes it absolutely delicious! Don't you think?

 
(Picture from Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment