Friday, January 17, 2014

What is Social Media?

Social media is one of those things that means something different to every person.  I think the meaning also changes depending on the generation you are from.  My mother is bothered by it and didn't want to be involved until she realized she was missing out on pictures of her grandchildren.  I have to call her and let her know that I posted pictures so she can get on her computer.  My siblings, for the most part, are active on at least facebook, but don't really post much.  My nieces and nephews, who are all 22 years old and under are extremely active in social media and post quite a bit on different platforms. 

To me, social media is the best way to keep in touch with family and friends.  Since I live away from all of my family, facebook is the primary way we keep in contact.  I have also found family I didn't know through social media and have even met some of them. I love that I can chat with them no matter what I am doing.  People can't always talk on the phone, but I can usually find the time to glance at whether or not I have a notification from one of my social media sites, who that notification is from, and whether or not it is important enough to respond quickly. 

I am not going to lie though.  I do miss the times before social media and feel that my age is the main reason I am not very active on my social media sites.  I only signed up for twitter and instagram to familiarize myself with different social media platforms for my social media class.  It is definitely not a necessity and it drives me bonkers when people act like it is.  I also get annoyed with how some people use social media.  One girl I went to school with seriously asks for money, rides, and help with bills on her facebook.  That is way inappropriate to me.

Social media really is a great thing.  It is just a new, innovative way to keep up to date with anyone and everything you are interested in.  I can't wait to see how it will continue to change and what else may enter the social media world.

No comments:

Post a Comment