Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Best Friend

While I was pondering on what to write my blog about I decided to Google ideas to blog about.  From the results I choose a blog titled Sweet ideas: 50 things to blog about which gave me some great ideas. One idea (#6) is the hardest thing you've ever been through so that is what I have decided to write about.

I met my best friend, Amber, when we were 3 years old. She took dance classes at the same studio I was at. We went to school together from kindergarten until we graduated high school.  We were inseparable most of the time and became closer after we graduated.  When we turned 21 year old we went out every chance we could and were able to experience many different things together.  Since her birthday was on Halloween we always went all out. My favorite Halloween with her was the night we went out with a big group of friends as bunnies and our good friend, Larry, went as Hugh Hefner. All night we rode around in a 1957 Chevy Bel Air Limo and were treated like royalty.

Ever since I could remember Amber was sick. She was diabetic and it really took a toll on her body. Shortly after she turned 22 she started experiencing pain in her kidneys.  The doctors couldn't find anything so they treated her for her pain and sent her home. By October 2006, Amber couldn't stay out of the hospital. She would be in for two weeks and home for one. The following March the doctors finally figured what was going on and diagnosed her with Addison's disease. This disease is very rare and it occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough hormones. You can live with Addison's disease with treatment, however, Amber had already gone so long without it. Amber left us on June 21, 2007.

My last visit with Amber was extremely special. She spent the majority of her time trying to convince me to move back to the Louisville area so we could go to 4th Street Live. She passed before we ever got the chance to come here together, but she is the reason I am here. She is also the reason I met my husband. We met the night of the 1 month anniversary of her death at 4th Street Live and have been together since.

Amber Sandlin 10-31-83/6-21-07

No comments:

Post a Comment