Friday, February 14, 2014

Visual Communications

Visual Communications are becoming a favorite way of sharing your life and information you are interested in. There are different ways and platforms you can access like Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Vine.  I am just starting to use Instagram and Vine so I am still not too familiar with them, but so far I really like them.  Pinterest and YouTube I am very familiar with and use constantly.  I am going to let you in on what I love about each of these.

Displaying Screenshot_2014-02-14-20-17-27.pngPinterest  (jacklynmantooth) is a website that I never considered as a social media platform until I started this class. I have always thought of it as just an awesome place online to get ideas, recipes, and how-to guide to almost anything I am interested in.  You can share the stuff you pin on Facebook and Twitter so it allows others to view and pin things you find. I currently have 18 boards that are categorized so it is easy to find what I pin for the future. My favorite things to look for while on Pinterest on home renovation and storage, backyard/garden ideas, and recipes. I have developed a pet peeve while on Pinterest.  It really bothers me when I click on a picture to be taken to the original website so I am able to read more about it and it takes me nowhere. It makes me want to scream. People please pin what you find from the website, don't just copy and paste. That being allowed is my least favorite part of Pinterest.

YouTube is one of those websites that still blows my mind. You can find almost anything you can imagine I consider this an excellent educational tool and watch a lot of videos with my 4 year old of things she is interested in. In the spirit of the Olympics (since they are currently on my television) I went on YouTube and watched a couple videos of Scott Hamilton figure skating from the 1980s and 1990s.  It brought back great memories seeing my all-time favorite figure skater on ice again. They do a great job keeping the raunchy, inappropriate videos off and have an option to report anything that you feel shouldn't be on there. My first semester at the University of Louisville I took a music history class where the professor had our class watch youtube videos weekly to help with our assignments. It was really neat to see how he incorporated this social media platform for us to watch some of the first music videos ever made.

Mike Thompson-Dynamite This was the first video my music teacher had us watch. I love it!

Scott Hamilton-Walk This Way (1994) My favorite performance.




No comments:

Post a Comment