Friday, February 14, 2014

The Louisville Zoo

After I became a mother I was looking for activities to do that would give me a workout and be appropriate to have a newborn with me. I had been to the Louisville Zoo, but only for the Brew at the Zoo. The Brew at the Zoo is an event that brings in businesses that brew their own beer and allow you to sample them. It also has food, wine, and music to make it an event I would definitely recommend. The year Emily was born my husband gave me season passes to the zoo for Christmas and I still feel this is the best gift ever! http://bit.ly/1btOp5j @LouisvilleZoo

The Louisville Zoo is a great place to go to spend a day or just spend an hour.  There are many exhibits and activities for the whole family to enjoy. They are open all year  and offer summer camps for kids that Emily cannot wait to participate in. The train that takes you around the zoo is finally back open after the accident from a couple years ago. http://bit.ly/1eZ6lE0 They took their time in properly training the train staff and making repairs that I feel extremely safe while riding it. This is the first year it has been open since 2009.

They have play areas strategically placed throughout the zoo that are perfect to use as resting spots while the kids still play.  There are different things to do in the play area for different ages so I never felt Emily would get ran over by the bigger kids.  They also have a wonderful splash park that is open in the summers.  There have been many days I have taken Emily in her bathing suit just to enjoy the splash park. In there they have rubber mats and an area that just has a little water come up for the little ones to play.  They also have a large ship with a slide and many water squirting toys to play with. I enjoy it because the parents can play too.

One thing I really enjoy and appreciate about the zoo is that you are allowed to bring your own food in. Most places make you purchase their overpriced food, but here you can bring any food you would like. Before I go to the zoo I always go down to this little deli called Morris Deli. http://on.fb.me/LYUMkR They have the best food that is very reasonable and super nice people that work there.

Picture from louisvillezoo.org
The zoo has been going through massive changes in the past couple years and recently spent 2.2 million dollars on renovating their polar bear/grizzly bear exhibit called Glacier Run.  It resembles a giant glacier slide. My husband was contracted to work with the crew that built the polar bear exhibit and we are all still very excited that he had that opportunity. It was really neat to hear how everything was created and also makes the exhibit more personal for us. They have added a bird sanctuary that you can enter and interact with the birds where you can give them nectar, but we have to wait until Daddy is with us since I am terrified of birds. The buildings in the zoo house mainly reptiles, amphibians, and fish which include an albino alligator that I find absolutely fascinating.  He is my favorite!



The zoo really is a great place to take your family to, especially the Louisville Zoo because of everything it has to offer.  I know I can't wait until this weather changes so we can get back to it.  It has been way too long!


No comments:

Post a Comment